Saturday, January 28, 2012

Blog Assignment 1

ABOUT ME:
Hello there, my name is Savannah Rhodes, I'm twenty years old, and a new student to the University of South Alabama. After studying pre-law at Faulkner State for almost two years, I had a change of heart, and realized I wanted to go a different direction with my life. While I enjoyed what I was studying, I couldn't help but feel like something was missing. I wanted to make sure that I was choosing a career path that would bring me happiness each and every day of my life. A few years from now, I want to be able to wake up every morning, and actually be EXCITED to go to work! Is that too much to ask?! 
Music has always been one of the most important parts of my life. I've been singing since I could talk, started begging my parents to let me take piano lessons as early as I could remember, and finally taught myself how to play guitar a couple of years ago. Music is truly one of the things that I am most passionate about. It has helped me get through so many hard times, inspires me on a daily basis, and always puts a smile on my face. Because of that, I decided I wanted to pursue a degree in music education. Someday, I want to be able to pass down the gift of music that my piano teacher shared with me, be able to teach kids a new way to express themselves, and share with anyone and everyone all the wonderful things that music has to offer. If my piano teacher could do it, I can too! This blog is one of the first steps I will be taking along my journey of becoming a music teacher. Hopefully EDM 310 will teach me some interesting ways in which I can use technology to communicate more effectively, and also introduce me to ways that I can incorporate technology into the teaching methods that I will use later in life.


RANDY PAUSCH ON TIME MANAGEMENT:
I'll be the first to admit that I can be quite the procrastinator at times, especially when it comes to a task I'm not so excited about. I found it interesting how Randy Pausch equates time unwasted to something as valuable as money. It really put things into perspective for me because if all the time I spent procrastinating was used to get more accomplished, I could have a lot more free time to do the things that I enjoy. It would also eliminate the unnecessary stress and struggle that comes along with rushing to get things done at the last minute. I've always been one to make to-do lists, because let's face it... If I don't write it down, I'll probably forget it. I also really enjoy the process of planning things. Randy Pausch emphasizes the importance of crossing things off your to-do list that aren't so important. He quotes, "It doesn't matter how much you polish the underside of the banister." Focusing on things that are unimportant is one of the biggest wastes of time. Lastly, Pausch speaks about how important it is to tackle the tough things on your to-do list first. Things become so much easier after you get the "ugly things" over and done with.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Savannah! I really like that you were strong enough to change majors after two years of study. That takes a lot of guts. I hope that your dreams of making a difference with music education come true; however, music education seems to be one of the more daring fields to pursue just because there may be limited jobs in this area of expertise. I wish you the best of luck though. I also enjoyed what you had to say about the time management video. I, like you, tend to procrastinate. Really, it would save me a lot of hassle to just do whatever I need to do, but sometimes I am a bit lazy. Viewing time lost as money lost is a good way to speed up your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hopefully EDM 310 will teach me some interesting ways in which I can use technology to communicate more effectively, and also introduce me to ways that I can incorporate technology into the teaching methods that I will use later in life." We hope so also!

    ReplyDelete