Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Practice Blog Post: Who Am I, Why Do I Want to Be an Educator, What Are My Passions?

Hello there,
     My name is Savannah Rhodes, and this will be my blog that I keep for EDM 310. I'm 22 years old, and I've lived in Mobile, Alabama my entire life. I decided to stay home for college so that's how I ended up at South Alabama, and so far I love it! I originally started out studying music to become a music teacher someday, but I just felt the specific music degree that I was going for wasn't the right path for me. I was also worried about being able to find a job once I got out of school because music teaching jobs are hard to come by, especially because music programs are slowly being cut from schools everyday. Because of this, I decided to switch my major to Secondary Education, and follow another interest that I have. Math is something I've always been good at, and it was always one of my favorite classes throughout middle school and high school, so I'm excited to be able to teach it someday.
     Whenever I was deciding what I wanted to do with my life, one of the most important things to me was that I picked a career that would make HAPPY. If I'm going to spend the rest of my life doing something, I really want to enjoy what I'm doing. I've always loved working with kids, and they brighten up my day. Working with kids will also open up the doors for me to share one of my passions: expressing yourself through music and art or whatever else it is that you love! I want to be able to inspire my students to follow their dreams, no matter how big or small, and to go after something they love too.
     As I mentioned before, I'm a musician. I love to sing, play guitar, and play piano. I've been singing since I could talk, playing piano since I was 5, and just started learning how to play guitar a few years ago. I participated in the USA Concert Choir and USA Wind Ensemble for a few semesters, and it is something that I will miss now that I'm not a music major anymore. Hopefully next semester I'll have room in my schedule to sign up for choir again. Dr. Moore is awesome, and if you enjoy singing even a little bit, I highly recommend joining choir! It's such an awesome experience! Some other things I enjoy are spending time with my friends and family, going to the beach, going fishing with my dad, and playing with my sweet puppy!

my pianomy dog

some piano music i am currently working onsailboats at a local dock
                                 

     As I take EDM 310, I hope to learn more skills that will help me use technology to better myself as a musician, and also that I can use someday in my classroom. Blogging has always been something that I've enjoyed, so I'm sure I'll continue to use a class blog when I am a teacher, but I am also excited to learn other ways that I can use technology in my classroom as well. I already have ideas about making videos to help kids remember lessons that we learned in class that day, and also making videos to help my piano students too! Hopefully I will learn a lot of valuable information in this class that I can take with me for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment