Thursday, January 16, 2014

Practice Blogpost

Hello there,
     My name is Savannah Rhodes, and I'm a junior at the University of South Alabama. I've lived in Mobile, Alabama my entire life, and for now I'm happy here. I'd definitely love to move to a bigger city with more things to do, and more opportunities sometime in the future, possibly even after I graduate! I've had quite an interesting journey through college thus far, and I'm proud to say that I've finally found a major in which I am truly happy. I started out not knowing what on earth I wanted to do with my life, and just started taking basic classes at Faulkner State Community College until I was 19. After a few years doing that, I transferred to South Alabama, and decided I wanted to do something with music! Music has always been my biggest passion, and I want to be able to share that gift with other people someday. I enjoy singing, I've been playing piano since I was 5, and I was able to teach myself guitar a few years ago! I also enjoy attempting to play other instruments too (like drums & violin), but those are the main ones I've been playing for a while. Whenever I started out at South, I was a full-time music major, and I enjoyed that while it lasted, however, being a band teacher wasn't my true passion, and the only other degree South Alabama offered was in Piano Performance. Because of that, I decided to switch to Secondary Education so I can teach middle school math someday, and I can always teach music on the side, especially during my summers off! I'm happy that things are working out where I can finish out with a minor in music because I truly enjoyed my time studying music over at Laidlaw. Dr. Holm is the most amazing piano teacher I've had, and I hope to take choir again sometime if my schedule will allow it! Besides music, my biggest love is spending time with my family and friends. I'm lucky to have the most supportive mom & dad in the world, and an amazing boyfriend too! My dad is a captain, and we love to spend our free time taking the boat out, and going fishing! I love being out on the water, and that's one of the reasons I'm so happy living in Mobile, Alabama for now. We're so lucky to live close to the beach! After spending most of the holidays out in Tucson, Arizona visiting my grandpa, it definitely made me miss being back at home. 
my pianomy dog

some piano music i am currently working onsailboats at a local dock
     I've taken EDM 310 before in the past, but unfortunately I didn't get to finish out the semester due to some stressful things going on with my family. EDM 310 was one of my favorite classes last semester because of the challenge, and I loved actually feeling involved in the class, and with what I'm learning. I'm excited to see what Dr. Strange has planned for us this semester, and I know that I will use the things I learn in EDM 310 for the rest of my life! I want to be able to use technology & a class blog to help my students, and I can also use some of the things I learn through EDM 310 to help build my own business teaching piano lessons someday! I would love to use technology to its fullest potential with that too! I'm looking forward to this semester, and I'm proud to say that I'm finally in a place where I'm completely happy with what I'm studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment