Sunday, March 30, 2014

Blog Assignment #10


Revolution - Transforming Education
     After watching Sir Ken Robinson's TED TALKS video on youtube, I'm feeling super inspired that I can make a positive impact on my students' lives, and help them realize that they are capable of achieving their dreams. In Robinson's lecture, he talks about the fact that we can't keep trying to improve something that just isn't working. Robinson believes we need a revolution in the way we approach education, and I fully agree with this. Right now, the education system is very "linear" or standardized, and teachers need to be customizing what they do in the classroom based on what their individual students need. Not only that, but teachers need to encourage their students to start discovering their passions, to work hard for their dreams, and let children know that it's okay to be different, and have different goals that you want to achieve! Success is not a one way street.
Earl Nightingale Quote     One thing that stood out to me in Robinson's lecture is that when you are spending time working on something that you are truly passionate about, time isn't an issue. When you put your heart into something you enjoy, you don't mind the hours you spend working at it! I've experienced this through music, and it's an amazing feeling when you find that one thing (or multiple things) that you are passionate about. I want to encourage my students to find that thing they love to do, and help them realize that if they work hard, and put the effort in, they can go out and make their dreams happen. I think the greatest thing that I can take away from Robinson's lecture is to make it a goal in my classroom to create an environment for my students in which they can be successful and flourish, and also to create a positive environment for them where they know that it's okay to be dreamers, to make mistakes, and to start new goals, as long as they are learning in the process. If I can teach my students to keep that mindset, I feel like this is something they can take with them for the rest of their lives, and they will be able to achieve so much with that!

1 comment:

  1. " I think the greatest thing that I can take away from Robinson's lecture is to make it a goal in my classroom to create an environment for my students in which they can be successful and flourish, and also to create a positive environment for them where they know that it's okay to be dreamers, to make mistakes, and to start new goals, as long as they are learning in the process." This is a great take away from Ken Robinson's TED talk video. Encouraging creative freedom in your classroom is very important.

    Excellent post this week!

    ReplyDelete